Monday, February 28, 2005

I'm glad I don't make games

I've been a gamer for as long as I can remember. Just to give you an idea, my first computer didn't even have a hard drive and I never got bored of playing Tapper for hours. The idea of making video games was what got me interested in programming. The idea of making video games kept me motivated as I made my way through the grueling computer graphics program after my bachelor's. When I hit the job market, I flooded the gaming industry with my resume. Now I'm kinda glad I never managed to get my foot in the door.

I'm sure everyone who works in the gaming industry loves their job. The coolness factor is through the roof, and you have to have an interest in games to begin with. The problem is that there's a big issue with the Quality of Life and the gaming industry. I've been aware of this for quite some time now. I can handle pressure, but it helps to be able to spend time away from the source of pressure. People are expected to work 50, 60, 80-hour weeks "as needed", and "as long as needed".

What REALLY freaked me out and made me post this happened last night. I was chatting on MSN with an internet buddy of mine who happens to be working for a prominent gaming company. To give you an idea, through its games, this company has made the front page of Gamespot several times and will continue to do so for AT LEAST the next two years. Since he was online at 10:30PM, one of the first things I asked him was if he was watching the Oscars. His answer was "No. I'm at work". That's CRAZY.

Like I said, I'm sure that most people who work in the industry have a passion that drives them to endure such conditions. They ARE still human, however. This issue needs to be addressed before someone goes postal. I wouldn't use the word "crisis", but that doesn't mean that nobody else would. Maybe I AM exaggerating, though. I guess I've been spoiled lately by the little things like, ya know, spending time with my family and friends on the weekend.

You got something to say? Post a comment! It doesn't even need to have anything to do with this article. :o)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home