Friday, April 29, 2005

I'm your pusher...

I want to start a fighting game community at work. Well, community isn't the right word considering how small we are, but I eventually want all the people who would potentially be interested (all 3 of us) to spend some time virtually beating each other up when we have time to spare. To get the ball rolling, yesterday I brought my copy of Soulcalibur 2 at work. This is pretty ironic considering how bad I think the game is at its core. I've ranted about how bogus this game is before and my opinion hasn't changed one bit, but I can't deny the facts: SC2 is braindead easy to learn, and even a button masher can LOOK like a pro. It's EXTREMELY rewarding at low level, and that's what gets you hooked.

This was confirmed right away. As soon as one of my coworkers realized what I was playing, he said "Hey! I wanna try!" and I started him off in Arcade mode. He picked Mitsurugi and after he beat his first opponent, he turned to me and said "I have no idea what I did, but it looked awesome."

This is exactly the kind of reaction I want. If all goes well, I'll have the two other potential players hooked enough on SC2 so I can give 'em the old "If you like SC2, you'll LOVE this game." In my ideal scenario, by September we will have gotten comfortable with Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution, Tekken 5, Marvel vs Capcom 2 (in any order), and our preferred game will be Guilty Gear X2. Of course, before we can do any of that, I have to get them hooked on the genre itself. For one of them the work is already done since he was really into VF2. We'll see if SC2 will give the other one enough eye candy and low-level rewards to get him into it. I sure hope so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home