Sunday, April 17, 2005

No respect for beggars

Life in Montreal has completely desensitized me to beggars. In fact, I actually resent some of them. I can't stand people who beg for money in the subway, for example. Every station has at least one music station where people can put a hat on the floor and sing or dance for money. Some of the musicians are actually quite good, but some of them are absolutely terrible. They might suck, but at least the bad singers are exchanging money for a service. Just like squeegee kids. A bad job is still a job, and that in itself is worth some respect. When I'm walking in a subway station, the words "Can you spare some change, please?" are like fingernails on a chalkboard. I just think of the shitty musicians I've heard and think to myself "Move over about 50 feet and SING, damn you! DO something. You're in a subway station!"

Last night I was shooting some pool with my friends, and when we came out of the pool hall, some guy approached us and said he needed some change so he could take the bus. After a moment's reflection, I reached into my wallet and I gave him a bus ticket. He thanked me and asked me if I had a dollar so he could buy some coffee. What kind of an idiot does that guy take me for? Although the bus ticket was well worth it to make that guy look like a fool, it annoys me to have my inherent mistrust of beggars confirmed time and time again.

Afew years ago I went to have a picnic with some highschool buddies of mine on Mount Royal, and as we were walking back to take the subway, a beggar was asking for money so he could buy food. When we offered him our leftovers, he said "Well, I just had a sandwich, I don't wanna eat TOO much!" Begging for food money, but not wanting to eat too much... This confirms that the smart ones don't beg for money on the street. This is why I don't give money to beggars. Ever. And I'm a rather generous person too. I once gave 20$ to a complete stranger for gas money. It was 2am, and his story was so crazy it HAD to be true. And beggars never ask for 20$, it's always change. And after he took my money, he headed straight for the gas station and I saw him talk to the cashier while pointing at one of the gas cans on the wall.

This is another reason beggars annoy me. They make life harder for the honest ones. I'm convinced that, in a typical month, at least a dozen people get stranded in Montreal without any bus money for one reason or another. I'd be very curious to find out how many people who beg for bus money actually want to take the bus. Fortunately, my dad gave me a means of finding out without giving away bus tickets left and right: Ask the guy how much he needs, then say "Gimme watcha got, and I'll give you a bus ticket." I now vow to always have bus tickets on me. I can't wait to see the looks on their faces! I might even offer to sell them a ticket for 50 cents to look even more sympathetic. In fact, next time I see someone begging for food money within walking distance of a supermarket, I might even offer to buy him some food. I WANT to help people. It's just that cash is not an option.

1 Comments:

At April 23, 2005 7:00 p.m., Blogger Rock Joe said...

Beggars here aren't smart enough to think about team work, thank God.

I gotta admit my new approach is entertaining and potentially fulfilling. The liars are SO EASY to identify. Whenever they understand that I'm willing to help them, but that their current story won't get them any cash, they change their story. Every time.

The next honest beggar I meat will be in for a special treat.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home