Monday, March 14, 2005

Resident Evil 4

I finished Resident Evil 4 last night. Overall I found it was a great game, but I can't say if it's the best in the series or not. The only other RE game I played was the remake of the original game for the GameCube. I prefer the "action-horror" feel that RE4 has. As much as I enjoyed playing through the original, I'm too big of a wuss to really enjoy the nonstop suspense. The zombies in the original were quite scary, but even scarier was the constant threat of bumping into one. That wasn't a problem at all in RE4 because of the emphasis on action.



Capcom did a good job of filling RE4 with a cast of memorable characters. It's too bad that one of the coolest bosses in the game was among the first to go. The supporting cast was nice as well. I didn't quite buy Luis. He felt like his attitude was 100% manufactured (a bit like Dante from Devil May Cry. I never bought his act), but the character played its role in the story well enough to be likeable. One thing I noticed about Ashley is that she has many of the stereotypical "Japanese turn-ons": young, blonde, big breasts, dressed like a schoolgirl. Somehow I doubt it's a coincidence.



After I finished the game, I was astounded by the goodies they put in. This the first game in a long time that has tempted me to play through it again. The idea of plowing through the game with all of my items/weapons/money intact is too enticing, and some of the boss battles in RE4 were among the most memorable in recent history. There are also two mini-games that are unlocked after you finish the game. One of them can potentially give more background information both on the setting itself, and on one of the supporting characters. All in all, RE4 was a great buy, and it's good to see Capcom come up with a survival-horror game that wusses like me can enjoy.

Speak up! You know you wanna!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home